A paper manger
15 minute Craft planner
You will need:
‘Paper manger’ templates (see Printables)
Large craft lollipop sticks cut in half
Round cotton-wool pads
Felt-tip pens and pencils
Straw or shredded paper
How to prepare:
Before the session print enough templates for at least one per child. For younger children you may want to cut out the templates before the session. Make a sample paper manger so that the children know what they are making.
How to make:
1. Cut out and colour in the two parts of the manger template.
2. If you would like your manger to have legs, select one part of the manger to be the base and cut out four sections as shown in the picture.
3. Carefully fold along the dashed lines so that the lines are on the outside of the fold.
4. Apply glue to the tabs and stick them in place to construct the two parts of the manger.
5. Ask an adult to cut your craft stick using a pair of scissors. You will need a piece measuring 5.5 cm.
6. Apply lots of glue to your cotton pad and wrap it around the short length of craft stick. Draw two little eyes on the stick and, if you have one, stick a button to the outside of the cotton pad.
Place your straw or shredded paper in the manger and tuck the Baby Jesus inside.
Alongside this craft teach the Bible story...