A colourful coat
15 minute Craft planner
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle and taste the food used in this activity
You will need:
Dairy spread (or a diary-free option)
Small gingerbread man/woman cutters (gingerbread women cutters work well as they look like Old Testament characters wearing long tunics)
Alternatively you could use pre-made gingerbread people. Instead of diary spread you will need water icing - made from icing sugar and water mixed to a spreadable consistency (add the water slowly to avoid making the icing too runny).
How to prepare:
Before the session clean the surfaces in your teaching area. Make one or two sample people with ‘colourful coats’ so the children know what they are making.
How to make:
1. Encourage the children to wash their hands.
2. Give each child a paper plate and a slice of bread.
3. Show the children how to carefully cut one or two people out of their bread.
4. Using a dinner knife carefully cover the cut-out people with spread.
5. Encourage the children to liberally scatter sprinkles over the clothes-part of their person.
6. Finally, help the children to use raisins to make two tiny eyes and a mouth for their person.
Alongside this craft, teach the Bible story...