15 minute Craft planner
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle the food used in this activity.
You will need:
Three or four balloons per child (not water bomb balloons)
At least two plastic bottles
Scraps of wool
Sheets of newspaper
How to prepare:
For younger children you may want to fill the plastic bottles with flour and rice in preparation. Before the session make a grain sack so the children know what they are making.
How to make:
1. Cover your work surface with newspaper. Use the funnel to fill one of the plastic bottles with flour and the other with rice. You may need to push the flour/rice through the funnel using the chopsticks.
2. Spend some time stretching your three balloons. Working with an adult place the funnel in one of your deflated balloons. Tip a small amount of rice into your balloon. Repeat this with the flour - adding a small amount of flour to the rice already in the balloon.
3. Keep adding rice and flour until you can't fit any more in to the balloon. Your balloon should only stretch a little so that it is not much bigger than the size of a golf ball.
4. Tie the end of the balloon then squeeze it into a second balloon. Tie the end of this balloon too.
5. Squeeze your squashy grain sack into a third balloon and tie up the end.
6. If you have a marker pen add a face to your grain sack...
7. ...and if you have some wool give your grain sack a spiky hairstyle. You can now squash your grain sack and watch the expression of the face change.
Alongside this craft, teach the Bible story...