Sweet things mirror
15 minute Craft planner
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle and taste the food used in this activity.
You will need:
‘How to attach the ribbon’ instructions (see Printables)
Foil dishes or silver cake boards
A variety of sweets - such as jelly beans, Dolly Mixtures, marshmallows, Smarties
Water-icing – icing sugar and water mixed to a thick, smooth consistency
Ribbon (metallic ribbon would be suitable)
‘Mirror, mirror’ textboxes (see Printables)
Hole punch, sticky tape and scissors
Colouring pencils or felt-tips
Teaspoons and small bowls
How to prepare:
Make the water-icing, adding the water slowly to avoid making it too runny. Print or photocopy sufficient textboxes for one per child. Follow the instructions to make a sample ‘sweet things mirror’ so the children can see what they are making. Clean the surfaces in your teaching area.
How to make:
1. Encourage the children to wash their hands.
2. Give each child a textbox. Encourage them to colour it in and then punch a hole as indicated.
3. Give each child a foil dish and show them how to flatten it by pushing out the sides.
4. Cut two slits about 10 cm apart in the top of the dish following the ‘How to attach the ribbon’ instructions (see Printables). Pass the ribbon through the slits as described in the instructions. Thread the textbox through the ribbon before tying the ends together.
5. Give each child a small bowl. In each bowl put a selection of sweets.
6. Show the children how to use a teaspoon to place a tiny amount of water-icing onto a sweet then ‘stick’ it to the rim of their foil dish.
7. Repeat this until the rim is decorated with sweets. Leave the icing to dry.
Alongside this craft, teach the Bible story...