15 minute Craft planner
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle and taste the food used in this activity.
You will need:
25 paper cake-cases
1 cup of mini-marshmallows
2 ½ cups of chocolate buttons
1 cup broken digestive or Rich Tea biscuits
1 cup sultanas or raisins
35-40 g butter cut into cubes
A set of scales
One or two large non-breakable bowls
‘Peter – the rock’ textboxes (see Printables)
For a dairy-free alternative replace the butter with a dairy-free spread and make sure the remaining ingredients are all dairy-free. If you can only find large dairy-free marshmallows chop them into smaller pieces.
How to prepare:
Before the session melt the chocolate on a very low setting in a microwave –checking every few seconds. Leave the mixture to cool. You want the chocolate to be warm but not hot.
How to make:
1. Clean the surfaces in your teaching area and encourage the children to wash their hands. If you have a large number of children divide the group into two.
2. Allow the children to help drop the cubes of butter into the warm chocolate and stir until the butter has dissolved.
3. Place the biscuits in the bowls. Ask the children to gently crush the biscuits using the end of a rolling pin or a potato masher. Make sure some larger chunks of biscuit remain.
4. Encourage the children to stir the mini-marshmallows and the dried fruit into the crushed biscuits.
5. When all the dry ingredients have been mixed together pour in the cooled melted chocolate and stir the mixture until all the crumbs are covered.
6. Help the children place a teaspoonful of the mixture into each paper case.
7. Arrange the ‘Rocky treats’ on the paper plates. Place a textbox next to the treats. Put the treats to one side (if possible in a fridge).
Alongside this craft, teach the Bible story...