A cloudy lantern
15 minute Craft planner
You will need:
Paper lantern template (see Printables)
See-through pint size plastic cups
Silver pens or glitter-glue (optional)
Silver or gold sequins
PVA glue, brushes and pots
String cut into 50 cm lengths
How to prepare:
Print and cut out sufficient templates for one per child. Make a sample ‘cloudy lantern’ so the children know what they are making.
How to make:
1. Fold along dashed line ‘b’ so the line is on the outside of the fold. Cut along the solid lines.
2. Fold along both the dashed lines labelled ‘a’ so that the lines are on the inside of the fold.
3. Tear off pieces of cotton wool and carefully glue them to your template. If you have sequins or glitter glue decorate the cotton wool. If you have a silver pen decorate your template between the cotton wool.
4. Wrap the template around the rim of your plastic cup. Attach the paper to the top of the cup using two or three pieces of sticky tape. Do not attach the base of the template to the cup however use a couple of pieces of tape to hold the lantern in a cylindrical shape.
5. To make a handle tie the string around the rim of the cup leaving one end of the string much longer than the other.
6. Pass the long end of the string over the cup and tie it to the loop of string on the opposite side of the rim.
7. Switch on your tea-light and place it inside your lantern – you will now have a glowing cloudy lantern.
Alongside this craft, teach the Bible story...