15 minute Craft planner
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle the food used in this activity.
You will need:
‘Horse and chariot’ template (see Printables)
Red, orange and yellow water-based paint
Long lengths of string (approximately three to four meters in length)
How to prepare:
Print sufficient templates for one per child. For younger children you may want to cut out the templates in advance. Make a sample ‘fiery chariot’ so the children know what they are making.
How to make:
1. Cut out your template and stick in the centre of a paper plate. Trim the paper plate so that it fits snuggly inside the salad spinner.
2. Place the template in a spinner and put three or four blobs in the middle of the picture. Spin the picture until the paint forms a spiky pattern.
3. Carefully cut around your picture. Use a piece of kitchen towel to dab any paint that is likely to run.
4. Use sticky tape to attach a piece of pasta to the back of the template. The pasta should run parallel to the horses’ backs.
5. Create a steep gradient with a length of string. Ask someone to hold one end of the string above their head and another person to hold an end to the floor. Carefully thread the raised end of the string through the penne pasta on the back of a painted template. When you let go of the fiery chariot it will travel along the string to the floor.
6. If you have time, set up another gradient with a second piece of string and two more people. You will now be able to hold fiery chariot races - thread two chariots onto the pieces of string at the same time and see which one reaches the floor first.
Alongside this craft, teach the Bible story...