15 minute Craft planner
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children to handle and taste the food used in this activity.
You will need:
Paper coffee filters (cone-shaped or circular)
Yellow, gold or silver pipe cleaners
‘Hundreds and thousands’ cake sprinkles or coloured sugar strands
Toffee flavoured ice cream sauce
‘God’s Mountain’ textbox (see Printables)
Colouring pencils and/or wax crayons
*Available from many pound shops or supermarkets. If you can’t find candyfloss cotton wool would work too.
How to prepare:
Print enough textboxes for one per child. Make a sample ‘cloudy mountain’ so the children know what they are making.
How to make:
1. Colour in and cut out a textbox.
2. Colour in both sides of your filter paper. If you are using circular coffee filter paper be careful not to flatten it too much as you colour it in. Fold the top of the filter paper over and cut a slit in the top as shown in the picture.
3. Open out your filter into a cone and gently shape it into a mountain-shape. Place your mountain in the middle of your paper plate.
4. Bend one or two pipe cleaners into ‘zig-zags’. Push the zig-zag pipe cleaners through the hole in the top your mountain to look like lightening.
5. Take two or three small pinches of candy floss. Gently tease the candy floss apart to make it look like a cloud. Place the cloud on top of the mountain, partly wrapping it around the pipe cleaners to ensure it stays in place. Beware the candyfloss will go hard with too much handling.
6. Squeeze a small amount of toffee sauce around the base of your mountain. Use a teaspoon to spread the sauce around the mountain. Sprinkle ‘hundreds and thousands’ around the mountain allowing them to stick to the sauce. These cake sprinkles represent the thousands of Israelites who stood watching the Mountain as it shook and rumbled with God’s power. Lean your textbox against the bottom of the mountain.
Don’t leave it too long before eating your candyfloss - it won't stay fluffy for long once removed from the packet!
Alongside this craft, teach the Bible story...