15 minute Craft planner
Beware of allergies make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle the food used in this activity.
You will need:
Paper plates – enough for one per child
Tinsel, glitter and collage material
PVA glue, pots and brushes
Chocolate coins - enough for five per child
Scissors and double sided tape or sticky tape
Colouring pencils and/or felt-tip pens
How to prepare:
Before the session print or photocopy enough ‘date textboxes’ for one set per child. Follow the instructions to make an example countdown crown so the children can see what they are making.
How to make:
1. Fold the paper plate in half.
2. Make three cuts as shown in the picture.
3. Open out the plate and cut along the fold line. Do not cut the rim of the plate. Fold out the sections, standing them upright to make a crown.
4. Cut out and colour in the ‘date’ textboxes.
5. Place the ‘Christmas Day textbox’ to one side. Stick the remaining textboxes in the correct order to alternate ‘points’ around the crown. Between the ‘1st Sunday’ and ‘4th Sunday texboxes’ stick the ’Christmas Day textbox’. On the same points use double sided tape to stick on the chocolate coins. Decorate the crown using the tinsel, collage material and glitter.
Explain to the children that, on every Sunday until Christmas and on Christmas Day, they should eat or give away a chocolate coin.
Alongside this craft teach the Bible story...