Week 5 objectives: to learn the Bible verse and recap what the children have looked at over the last few weeks.
Challenge - 7 mins
Aim: to complete a challenge that involves putting the words of the Bible verse in order.
You will need: six paper cups, eight paper plates, enough paper straws for one per child, two craft pompoms, a marker pen, a pair of scissors and a stopwatch.
1. Divide the paper cups and plates into two sets. Each set should include three cups and four plates.
2. Take one set and cut segments out of three of the plates. Leave one plate whole.
3. Write a section of the verse around the rim of each paper plate, writing the final section on the plate without a cut-out segment.
4. Repeat steps ‘2’ and ‘3’ with the second set of plates.
To demonstrate the challenge…
5. Quickly show the children how to make a tower by alternating the plates and cups. Position the plates so that the cut-out segments are not directly above one another. For the demonstration arrange the plates so that the words of the Bible verse are not in the correct order.
6. When the tower is complete place a pompom on the top plate. Hold a straw next to the pompom and gently blow through the straw to move the pompom around the plate until it drops through the cut-out segment onto the plate below. Keep blowing through the straw until you have rolled the pompom all the way down to the bottom plate.
NB. One of your helpers may need to lightly press down on the middle of the top plate to stop the tower toppling as the pompom is blown along.
To complete the challenge…
7. Divide your group into two teams.
8. Give a set of cups and plates, enough paper straws for one per child and a craft pompom to each team. Explain to the children that they need to construct a tower for their team using their cups and plates, this time making sure the words of the Bible verse are in the correct order.
9. Set the timer and call out ‘go’. The first team to complete the challenge i.e build their tower and then blow their pompom from the top to the bottom, is the winning team.
Revealing the Bible verse - 5 mins
You will need: sticky tac, a large sheet of paper or a whiteboard, marker pens and a second large sheet of paper.
Before the session write the verse on the whiteboard or a large sheet of paper. Use sticky tac to stick a second large sheet of paper over the verse.
Ask the children to sit on the floor next to their towers. Reveal the verse and encourage the children to check that the words are in the correct order in their towers.
Allow other children to have a go at blowing the pompom from the top of their tower to the bottom, making sure each child uses a fresh straw. As a child blows the pompom along encourage the other children to call out the words of the Bible verse on each plate.
’Give me five’ - 2 mins
Before the session prepare four statements summarising what the children have learnt over the last few weeks. For an overview of the month’s objectives click on the relevant verse below.
Ask the children to ‘high five’ the person next to them and say ‘give me five!’.
Encourage the children to point to their little finger with their other hand and shout ‘one’. Tell the children the first statement, summarising what they learnt in week one then ask the children to repeat the statement back to you.
Encourage the children to point to their next finger and shout ‘two’. Tell the children the second statement, summarising what they learnt in week two then ask the children to repeat the second statement back to you.
Repeat this with the middle and index fingers telling the children the third and fourth statements. Finally encourage the children to point to their thumbs, give a ‘thumbs up’ and say ‘God loves me!’
Song - 1 min
Sing this month’s Bible verse song.