15 minutes Story planner
The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor pages 412-413
The book of ‘Revelation’ gives us a glimpse of what Heaven is like. It describes God sitting on a throne, a rainbow, lamp stands and God’s shining glory. Later on John describes thousands and thousands of angels praising God around his throne. You could encourage the children to read with you Revelation 5:11–14.
1. Setting the scene - 2 mins
Find the New Testament section in a Bible.
Show and talk about ‘The Early Church FlashCards’ cards one to ten .
2. Starter question - 1 min
Did you know that the sun is over 90 million miles away from the earth (that’s over 140 million kilometres) and it takes only eight minutes for light to travel from the sun to the earth? We need sunlight to see where we are going, to stay healthy and for plants to grow. However did you know that there is no need for the sun or the moon to shine in God’s heavenly city? That's because in God’s city his glory shines all around.
3. Tell the story with props - 4 mins
Click on the images at the beginning of this post to download more web resources
- A Bible opened at the book of Revelation
- A map showing the island of Patmos
- A rolled-up piece of paper to represent a scroll
- ‘I am coming very soon!’ speech bubble (see Printables)
- ‘Yes Lord Jesus – please come!’ speech bubble (see Printables)
4. Story activity - 6 mins
Option 1 - Enjoy the puzzles in this weeks Dead Sea Comic Caper (see Printables)
Option 2 - Complete the Heavenly crossword
You will need: the Heavenly crossword (see Printables)
Answer the following questions or complete the sentences to fill in the missing words.
- What was God sitting on in Heaven? Throne
- How many churches would be sent a message? Seven
- What did Jesus look like? A lamb
- John wrote down that he heard a loud____ . Voice
- God promised that he would wipe away all____ . Tears
- God’s Holy City has no need of the____ . Sun
5. Reflective prayer - 2 mins
Father we find it difficult to understand what your Heavenly city will be like. We read in the book of Revelation that it will be full of your glory. We try to imagine the throne and the rainbow, but we know that your throne is greater than we can ever imagine.
Father God, we thank you that one day we will live in Heaven with you.
Father help us to remember that when we go through difficult times not only are you with us now, but you have promised that one day you will wipe away every tear. Amen.
Alongside this story, make the craft...