15 minute Story planner
The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor page 384
1. Setting the scene - 2 mins
Find the New Testament section in a Bible.
Show and talk about ‘The Early Church FlashCards’ card one
2. Starter question - 1 min
Which of these words would you use to describe the sound of a jet plane? Roaring… banging… booming… zooming… whooshing… thundering… screeching… blasting? Did you know that the sound of a jet plane is one of the loudest sounds ever made? Would you use the same words to describe the noise of a rushing wind?
3. Tell the story with props - 4 mins
Click on the images at the beginning of this post for Bible-images from the web.
- Pictures of a field of wheat from a library book or the internet (beware of copyright regulations)
- Tongues of fire (see Printables)
- Holy Spirit arrow (see Printables)
- ‘Whatever can have happened to them?’ speech bubble (see Printables)
Clarify that the flame shapes in the story were safe; they were not hot and didn’t hurt anybody. Remind the children that they must not play near fires and never touch matches or lit candles.
4. Story Activity - 6 mins
Option 1 - Enjoy the puzzles in this weeks Dead Sea Comic Caper (see Printables)
Option 2 - In the bag
You will need: A bag that the children cannot see through, post-it notes, a French-English dictionary, a towel or tablecloth and four or five small items such as a pen, a cup, a phone, a hat and a sock.
1. Write the names of the items in French on the post-it notes and stick them to the relevant items.
2. Place the items on the floor or table in front of the children. Tell the children what the items are called in French.
3. Ask the children to repeat the French names back to you.
4. Cover the items with the towel then place one item in the bag. Keep the bag under the towel while you place the item in it.
5. Remove the towel and ask the children to tell you in French the name of the item in your bag. Help the children by saying the first letter of the word if they are struggling to remember it.
Option 3 - If you would prefer, put together a PowerPoint presentation – paste a selection of pictures on to a slide with the French name for the items alongside. On the second slide paste all the same pictures except for one. The children need to tell you in French which item is missing. Beware of copyright regulations when using pictures from the internet.
Option 4 - Invite somebody from your congregation to speak about a time when they felt guided and/or helped by the Holy Spirit. Make sure the arrangements for inviting a guest to your setting complies with your church’s policies and procedures.
5. Reflective prayer - 2 mins
Father God we picture the disciples praying and praying as they waited for your Holy Spirit to come. We imagine the tremendous noise, like a rushing wind, as your Spirit arrived.
Father God, we thank you for your wonderful Holy Spirit. Thank you that your Holy Spirit comforts, teaches and guides.
Father we thank you that the Holy Spirit changes us from the inside out. We thank you that, with the powerful help of the Holy Spirit, people all over the world are learning and growing to live the way you created them to live - to be more like Jesus, more peaceful, patient and kind. Amen
Alongside this story, make a craft...