15 minute Story planner
The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor page 68
‘The pillars of cloud and fire’ see Printables.
1. Setting the scene - 2 mins
Find the Old Testament section in a Bible.
Show and talk about 'The Old Testament FlashCards' cards one to four
2. Starter question - 1 min
Can you imagine a busy road without any road signs? How would drivers know which way to turn, when to slow down or how far it was to the next junction? Imagine that there were no signposts on footpaths either; people would have to guess the way to the shops or how to get back home again. Everybody would be confused and probably lost!
3. Tell the story with props - 4 mins
The following props could be used with the printable story
- A book of road signs
- ‘Get up’ speech bubble (see Printables)
- Mixing bowl
- Tea towel
- Gold and silver ornaments or costume jewellery
- A selection of clothes
Click on the images at the beginning of this post for more resources from the web
4. Story activity - 6 mins
Option 1 - Enjoy the puzzles in this weeks Dead Sea Comic Caper (see Printables)
Option 2 - A creative prayer
You will need: a large sheet of paper*, sticky tape and A5 sheets of red and white paper.
*The size of the paper you need will depend on how many children you have in your group. If you have a large group you will need long strips of lining paper; if you have a small group A3 sheets will be sufficient.
1. Stick the two pieces of paper vertically to a wall.
2. Give each child a white piece of paper and a red piece of paper.
3. Encourage the children to draw around one of their hands on each piece of paper.
4. Help the children to write a prayer on the red hand thanking God for being with them during the night, and during the day on the white hand. The prayer could simply be ‘Thank You God that You are with me during the night/day.’
5. Ask the children to come forward and stick their red hands to one strip of lining paper and their white hands to the other strip of lining paper.
6. Explain to the children that they have created their own ‘pillar of cloud’ to remind them that God is with them during the day and a ‘pillar of fire’ to remind them that God is with them during the night.
5. Reflective prayer - 2 mins
Read the prayers written on the paper hands (see Option 2) or ask the children to read the prayers they have written.
Alongside this story, make the craft...