15 minute Story planner
The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor page 74
‘Winning a battle’ see Printables.
1. Setting the scene - 2 mins
Find the Old Testament section in a Bible.
Show and talk about 'The Old Testament FlashCards' cards one to four
2. Starter question - 1 min
Have you ever carried something until your arms ached, or walked and walked until your legs were tired and sore?
3. Tell the story with props - 4 mins
- Toy swords
- A large stick
- A rolled up sheet of paper to look like a scroll
- Stones for building an altar
- A sign that says ‘The Lord is my Banner’
Click on the images at the beginning of this post for more resources from the web
4. Story activity - 6 mins
Option 1 - Enjoy the puzzles in this weeks Dead Sea Comic Caper (see Printables)
Option 2 - Acting the story
You will need the props listed above and dressing up clothes (headdresses made out of tea towels secured with ties will do).
1. Give four children the following roles: Moses, Joshua, Aaron and Hur.
2. Ask the remaining children to be either Israelites or Amalekites. If you have less than four children allow them to choose who they would like to be. If you don’t have suitable dressing up clothes, make everybody a simple headdress out of a tea towel secured with a tie.
3.Pair each of the Israelites with an Amalekite and give them a toy sword. Ask them to start fighting in slow motion (so that nobody gets hurt!).
4. As you tell the story describe what the characters are doing. ‘Moses’ will need to stand to the side with the stick lifted above his head. Ask ‘Moses’ to begin to lower the stick. As he does, the ‘Amalekites’ should act as if they are winning.
5. ‘Aaron’ and ‘Hur’ will then need to get ‘Moses’ a chair to sit on and each hold up one of his arms. As they do this the Israelites should act as if they are winning.
6. As you finish the story ask everybody to sit down apart from ‘Moses’ who pretends to write on a scroll before handing it to ‘Joshua’. ‘Moses’ then needs to carefully position a pile of stones to look like an altar.
5. Reflective prayer - 2 mins
Father we think about the Israelites who fought at Rephidim. We remember how they looked up to see your staff held high in the air. When we are in the middle of difficult times help us to remember that you are always with us.
We remember that Aaron and Hur came alongside Moses to help him. Please show us how we can help each other to live your way. Amen.
Alongside this story, make the craft...