15 minute Story planner
The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor, page 90
‘Deuteronomy 8’ see Printables
If telling the story using The Children's Bible in 365 stories show the picture on page 87. Explain that God told Moses to speak to the rock and he would bring water out from it . But Moses was cross with the Israelites and hit the rock. Because Moses disobeyed God he was not allowed to lead the Israelites into the Promised Land.
1. Setting the scene - 2 mins
Find the Old Testament section in a Bible.
Show and talk about 'The Old Testament FlashCards' cards one to four
2. Starter question - 1 min
There are lots of things we need to remember: to do our homework, wish a friend happy birthday, change our socks! How do you remember important things? Some people tie a knot in the corner of a handkerchief or write a message on a piece of paper or put a reminder on their phone.
3. Tell the story with props - 4 mins
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle and/or taste the food used in this activity.
- Post-it notes
- Mobile phone
- Do not forget the Lord your God’ speech bubble (see Printables )
- 'Remember…' speech bubbles (see Printables )
- Torn up pieces of white bread to look like manna
- Clothes and shoes
- A large jug of water
- A bag of flour
- A bunch of grapes
- A pomegranate
- A bottle of olive oil
- A jar of honey
- A loaf of bread
- Dinner knife and fork
- Small money bags full of coins.
Click on the images at the beginning of this post for more resources from the web
4. Story activity - 6 mins
Option 1 - Enjoy the puzzles in this weeks Dead Sea Comic Caper (see Printables)
Option 2 -
You will need the props listed above plus two small tables, fabric table-coverings and a clear bowl of water with a small rock in it (to remind the children that, on two occasions, water came from a rock in the desert).
1. Before the session, set up one table on one side of the room and the other on the other side of the room. Cover the tables with the fabric. Place all the objects relating to the desert on one table and those relating to the Promised Land on the other.
2. Tell the story drawing the children’s attention to the relevant table as you talk about the different items.
3. After you have told the story explain that you are going to take a vote to find out if the children would rather live in the Promised Land or spend 40 years in the desert.
4. Ask the children the four questions (see Printables). You could allow the children to discuss their views with their neighbour before voting.
5. To vote the children need to place their hands in the air then lean either to their left or their right. If the children want to vote for the Promised Land and the ‘Promised Land’ table is on the left hand side of the room they need to lean to the left. If they want to vote for the desert and the ‘desert table’ is on the right hand side of the room they need to lean to the right.
5. Reflective prayer - 2 mins
Father we think about Moses' final words urging the Israelites not to forget You.
Father help us to remember all You have done for us and to remember that it is because of Your great love that we are surrounded by so many good and wonderful things. Amen.
Alongside this story, make the craft...