15 minute Story planner
Ruth 1 - 4
The Children’s Bible in 365 Stories by Mary Batchelor, pages 122, 123 and 124
‘Ruth’ see Printables.
1. Setting the scene - 2 mins
Find the Old Testament section in a Bible.
Show and talk about 'The Old Testament FlashCards' cards one to five
2. Starter question - 1 min
How do you think a farmer harvests his crops? A long time ago farmers didn’t have machinery; they cut their crops by hand and gathered them into big bundles.
3. Tell the story with props - 4 mins
Beware of allergies - make sure it is safe for the children in your group to handle the food used in this activity.
Pictures of a combine harvester perhaps from a library book or the internet (beware of copyright regulations)
A map of Israel at the time of the Judges with Bethlehem clearly marked (See Printables)
Pictures of fields of barley perhaps from a library book
A bag of pearl barley (barley with its husks removed –available from supermarkets)
‘Ruth’s family tree’ (see Printables)
‘Ruth’s new family tree’ (see Printables)
Click on the images at the beginning of this post for more resources from the web
4. Story activity - 6 mins
Option 1 - Enjoy the puzzles in this weeks Dead Sea Comic Caper (see Printables)
Option 2 - A challenge with pearl barley
Beware of allergies make sure it is safe for the children to handle the pearl barley used in this game.
You will need two trays, a bag of pearl barley, enough dinner forks for one between two children, weighing scales and a timer.
1. Divide the children into two teams.
2. Pour the pearl barley onto one of the trays. Place the empty tray on the floor next to the tray of barley.
3. Ask the children to sit on the floor.
4. Encourage the children from one of the teams to gather around the trays.
5. Explain to the team that they need to ‘harvest’ the barley - they need to collect it from the first tray and place it on the second tray, however they can only use the dinner forks and ‘harvest time’ only lasts 30 seconds.
6. Give each child in the team a fork.
7. When the team is ready set the timer and shout ‘go’. At once the children should begin collecting as much pearl barley as they can on their forks, then tip it onto the second tray.
8. After 30 seconds, shout ‘stop’. Weigh the barley that has been tipped onto the tray and record the weight.
9. Pour the barley back onto the original tray and repeat the activity with the second group harvesting the barley.
10.Tell the group which team gathered the most barley.
5. Reflective prayer - 2 mins
Father we remember how Ruth and Naomi arrived in Bethlehem - poor and without food. We think about organisations around the world today that work hard to feed hungry people. Father we pray that you help and guide them day after day.
Father we thank you for this story's happy ending. We thank you that you didn't just make a way for Ruth and Naomi to have enough food but you made a way for them to be loved and cared for too.
Father we pray for people around the world, not only that they have enough food to eat, but that they also hear about your great, great love for each one of them. Amen.
Alongside this story, make the craft...